2011 Competition Terms and Conditions
1. Entry is open to all Australian residents. Entry forms can be downloaded from http://republicanfiction.blogspot.com/
2. The purpose of the short story competition is to promote non-constitutional change towards an Australian republic and to remind Australians what they still do not have.
3. The theme for the speculative fiction competition is 'Citizen or Subject'. Short stories will be required to use this theme to portray an Australian republican future.
4. First prize is $500. Highly Commended prize is $50. The First Prize and Highly Commended short stories are eligible for publication in Republican Roundup and on the ARM website. Copyright of each short story will remain with the author.
5. Entry fee is $11.99 (incl GST). Each additional submission fee is $6.11 (incl GST) Entry fees are to be paid by money order or cheque to Australian Republican Movement. Please do not send cash.
6. Entries must be unpublished and not have won any other awards. Each manuscript entered must meet all of the following requirements:
* Length -- 2000 to 4000 words
* Typed -- double spaced on one side of the paper
* Title Page -- must include your name, address, phone number, story title, length, and email
* Do not submit originals. Manuscripts will not be returned.
* While appropriate colourful language might be accepted (within moderation), entries must not contain extreme foul language, racial or sexually explicit content that would render the entry unsuitable for publication.
* Electronic copies will be accepted at email@example.com
* Deadline -- postmarked on or before 6 November 2011 (Advice: enter early -- avoid deadline crush)
7. The competition will be judged by Professor John Warhurst, Professor George Williams and Dr Glenn Davies. The judging committee will select the best short stories from the qualified entries and determine the winners. The judges reserve the right not to award prizes if in their judgement there are no short stories entered of sufficient standard. The decision of the judging committee is final.
8. The prize money will be awarded by Australian Republican Movement in accordance with the decision of the judging committee. First Prize and Highly Commended winners will be publicised on 26 January 2011. Each contestant after 26 January 2011 will receive the following information: Name of the competition winner / Name and background of the judges / The 2010 competition statistics
9. Mail signed official entry form and your manuscript (s) on or before 6 November 2011 to: Australian Republican Movement (Qld), PO Box 87, Geebung Q 4034
10. If you have any questions, please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org or post a blog query at http://republicanfiction.blogspot.com/
Best of luck!